MOTOR VEHICLE ACCIDENTS
- Check the scene for potential electrical and gas hazards. This includes not only overhead wires, but gas meters and other ground-level items that could be trapped beneath vehicles.
- Systems are designed to automatically restore gas unless those triggers are overridden. Contact gas company officials immediately so they can cut power or the flow of gas while you work an accident.
- Disconnect utilities if at all possible before entering a building. This is especially vital if a building with a gas meter is burning. You can shut down natural gas at the gas meter.
- Contact the local gas company immediately if you need assistance.
Severe storms can cause gas leaks. These can be tough to see or hear - especially in the dark with debris all around and noise from the storm. Here are some tips to keep you safe as you respond to emergency calls during severe weather:
- Be cautious of gas leaks in damaged buildings. If you smell gas, call the local gas company with the location and details about the scene.
- Cordon off areas with gas leaks and redirect traffic whenever possible. Keep people back until the problems are fixed.
As soon as gas company officials are available, they will come out to fix leaks. Be as specific as you can when you make a call to ensure the most efficient response.
If you enter a building that's been damaged by floods, don't light matches, cigarettes or use anything that sparks or flames. Call the local gas company if you smell gas. If you are directing people back to their homes, be sure to tell them to contact the gas company to hook the utility back up, and not to try to turn it back on themselves.
SEVERED GAS LINES
- Evacuate nearby buildings and sewers.
- Approach area from upwind.
- Do not attempt to close off leak yourself. Call the local gas company. Be detailed about where you think the leak is and the extent of it.
- Contact nearby railroads to stop traffic until gas emergency is over.
- Allow cut lines to burn until gas company officials can find the gas source and cut it off.