With the heating season fast approaching, it's important to have your heating system inspected and serviced by a qualified plumbing or heating professional. For safety reasons, never make your own repairs on heating equipment or other natural gas appliances. The following items should be performed prior to kicking on the furnace or gas fireplace:
- Check to make sure that the fuel lines, safety controls and burner are all in good working order.
- Clean or replace furnace filters.
- Make sure vents and exhaust ducts are not blocked, are in good condition and are properly connected to exhaust the combustion gases out. Check and clear the area around the furnace. Keep it free from obstructions.
- Check your chimney and clear it of any obstructions.
- Check the thermostat to make sure it is working properly.