Its that time of the season, when the season has officially changed and the temperatures have dropped. Its also a good time to make sure your furnace is in good working condition. It's recommended that home owners have their furnaces inspected at the start of the heating season. A well-maintained furnace means maximum efficiency throughout the heating season when natural gas usage is typically at its highest. In addition, it is the best defense against dangerous carbon monoxide. Below are five tips to keep in mind this season:
- Make sure to have your natural gas appliances inspected regularly.
- For efficiency and safety, make sure your natural gas flame is true blue in color.
- Carbon monoxide detectors should be changed out every few years and new batteries installed each season.
- Always be sure your natural gas appliances are properly ventilated (this includes space heaters)
- If you detect the odor of natural gas, get to a safe location and call the emergency number for your natural gas operator.